Sign the Petition
Press Releases and Statements
Virtual Movement Archive
Civil Liberties and Academic Freedom
Join our Listserv
Download HAW images
About us / Contact us
Organizations and Campaigns
- United for Peace and Justice
- United for Peace is a national campaign that brings together a broad
range of organizations throughout the United States to help coordinate
work against a U.S. war on Iraq.
- Iraq Moratorium
- The Iraq Moratorium will be an escalating, monthly expression of determination to end the war. Commencing Friday, September 21, 2007 and continuing the Third Friday of every month thereafter, we will encourage people to make a break with business as usual.
- Veterans for Peace
- Veterans For Peace is a national organization that includes men and women veterans from World War II, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf War, other conflicts and peacetime veterans. Our collective experience tells us wars are easy to start and hard to stop and that those hurt are often the innocent. Thus, other means of problem solving are necessary.
- AfterDowningStreet.org is a coalition of veterans' groups, peace
groups, and political activist groups, which launched on May 26, 2005,
a campaign to urge the U.S. Congress to begin a formal investigation
into whether President Bush has committed impeachable offenses in connection
with the Iraq war. Also see downingstreetmemo.com.
- Alliance of Radical Academic
and Intellectual Organizations
- The Alliance of Radical Academic/Intellectual Organizations is a
network of educational collectives and caucuses--brought together by
the conjuncture of the "war on terrorism"; the degradation
of the economy and casualization of labor exacerbated by, but not totally
attributable to, the war; growing repression; and privatization, corporatization,
and de-funding of higher education.
- International Network of Scholar
- The International Network of Scholar Activists promotes more egalitarian
relationships of mutual learning between individuals and organizations
working within universities and those
in other parts of civil society.
- MoveOn is working to bring ordinary people back into politics. They
have several petitions on Iraq.
- Peace Action
- Peace Action, the merger of SANE and The Freeze, has effectively mobilized
for peace and disarmament for over forty years.
- Not In Our Name
- The Not in Our Name Project calls on the people of the U.S. to resist
the policies and overall political direction that have emerged since
September 11, 2001, and which pose grave dangers to the people of the
- Iraq Peace Team
- An international team working to prevent an escalation of the current
war against Iraq. It opposes any form of armed aggression by any party.
- Christian Peacemaker
Teams in Iraq
- CPT delegations to Iraq visit Baghdad and other cities, and visit
facilities such as hospitals, schools and markets. In case of a U.S.
attack, the team and delegates will strive to be present among people
and institutions that support life.
- Voices in the Wilderness
- A campaign to end the economic sanctions against the people of Iraq.
- Iraq Pledge
- The Iraq Pledge of Resistance is a campaign to build a network of
nationally-coordinated, nonviolent civil disobedience to oppose President
Bush’s plans for war on Iraq.
- Rice For Peace
- In the 1950's, tens of thousands of people sent small bags of rice
to President Eisenhower convincing him not to attack China. Now a nationwide
effort has been launched to send the same message to President Bush
about Iraq. If we are going to send something to Iraq it should be food,
- National Network to End the War
- The National Network to End the War Against Iraq is a nation-wide
coalition of over 140 peace and justice, student and faith-based organizations
united to work for a common cause: ending the illegal, unjust, and inhumane
war being waged against the people of Iraq by member states of the United
Nations, led by the United States.
- International A.N.S.W.E.R.
- Act Now to Stop War & End Racism.
- World Can’t Wait
- Drive Out the Bush Regime: “The Bush regime is setting out to radically remake society very quickly, in a fascist way, and for generations to come. We must act now against War, Torture, Theocracy, and Ignorance; the future is in the balance.”
- The People's Anti-War Referendum is a component of an ongoing campaign
against war and racism and in support of grassroots democracy, including
teach-ins, conferences, local and regional events.
- National Youth and Student Peace Coalition
- The National Youth and Student Peace Coalition was formed in repsonse
to the events of September 11, 2001, and has worked to build strategc,
long-term student and youth opposition to war, both abroad with bombs
and bullets, and at home with racism, cuts to education, and freedom-limiting
- The Randolph Bourne Institute
- The Randolph Bourne Institute (RBI) promotes a non-interventionist
foreign policy for the United States as the best way of fostering a
peaceful, more prosperous world, and sponsors the website Antiwar.com.
- Code Pink: Women's Pre-Emptive
Strike for Peace
- We call on women around the world to rise up and oppose the war in
- Peace History Society
- The Peace History Society was founded in 1964 to encourage, and coordinate
national and international scholarly work to explore and articulate
the conditions and causes of peace and war, and to communicate the findings
of scholarly work to the public.
- U.S. Labor Against The
- Lawyers Against War
- LAW opposes the illegal use of force against Afghanistan and other countries and supports the use of national and international law to settle disputes, prosecute offenders and protect rights.
- Draft Impeachment
Resolution Against President George W. Bush
- Drafted by Francis A. Boyle, professor of law, University of Illinois
School of Law. Also see the Impeach
Bush Campaign. Former U.S. Attorney General Ramsey Clark has another
draft of Articles of Impeachment at votetoimpeach.org.
Also see a call from the Fellowship of Reconciliation to Indict
Bush as a war criminal for unleashing an unprovoked war.
- Iraq Body Count
- The worldwide update of reported civilian deaths in the war on Iraq
- U.S. Military Deaths in the Conquest of Iraq
- Cost of the War in Iraq
- Occupation Watch
- Exposing the impact of the military and economic occupation of Iraq.
- The Chickenhawks
- A chickenhawk is a term often applied to public persons - generally
male - who (1) tend to advocate, or are fervent supporters of those
who advocate, military solutions to political problems, and who have
personally (2) declined to take advantage of a significant opportunity
to serve in uniform during wartime. From the The New Hampshire Gazette.
- Bill of Rights Defense Campaign
- Civil liberties issues.
- Committee for a National Discussion
of Nuclear History and Current Policy
- A committee of scholars, veterans, clergy, activists, students, and
other interested individuals is now forming to challenge the Smithsonian's
plans to exhibit the Enola Gay solely as a "magnificent technological
- Future of Iraq Portal
- An important collection of categorized links. Includes eyewitness
sources on casualties, links to NGO's, the multifaceted peace movement,
document the privatization and war profiteering, Arab media, Iraqi
academic groups, as well as the voices of the "official story" as
told by the US
Government and the Interim Governmental Administration.
- Iraq Mortality
- IraqMortality.org provides a compilation of analysis of the mortality
studies of Iraqi deaths, articles, and resources for activists.
- Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)
- WILPF works to achieve through peaceful means world disarmament, full rights for women, racial and economic justice, an end to all forms of violence, and to establish those political, social, and psychological conditions which can assure peace, freedom, and justice for all.
- Courage to Resist
- A group of concerned community members, veterans and military families that supports military objectors to illegal war and occupation and the policies of empire.
Essays and Articles
- Iraq Journal
- A collection of regular reports from Iraq, coordinated by independent
journalist Jeremy Scahill.
- Middle East Research and Information
- The Middle East Research and Information Project (MERIP) was established
31 years ago to provide information and analysis on the Middle East
that would be picked up by the existing media.
- Al-Jazeerah Information Center
- The main goal of Al-Jazeerah Information Center is to promote cross-cultural
understanding between people all over the world. This will be achieved
by publishing news, articles, columns, book reviews, and letters, which
must not contain any hateful or derogatory words or phrases.
- Focus on Iraq
- Foreign Policy In Focus (FPIF) seeks to make the U.S. a more responsible
global leader and global partner. Includes Stephen Zunes, United
Nations Security Council Resolutions Currently Being Violated by Countries
Other than Iraq (October 2, 2002).
- The U.S.-Iraq Crisis
- The Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) works with social movements
to forge viable and sustainable policies to promote democracy, justice,
human rights, and diversity.
- List of links to articles on Iraq.
- ZNet AntiWar
- Essays and links from ZNet.
- AlterNet: Special Coverage: War on Iraq
- Essays and links from AlterNet.
- Hearts and Minds: Post-war Civilian Deaths in Baghdad Caused by U.S. Forces
- This report documents and analyzes civilian deaths caused by U.S.
military forces in Baghdad since U.S. President George W. Bush declared
an end to hostilities in Iraq on May 1, 2003. It is based on research
in Baghdad from September 18-30, and follow-up research on October 5
and 9, 2003. During that time, Human Rights Watch interviewed the witnesses
to civilian deaths, family members of the deceased, victims who were
non-lethal casualties, Iraqi police, lawyers and human rights activists,
U.S. soldiers, officers from the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General’s
office (JAG) and members of the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority
(CPA), responsible for governing Iraq.
- Iraq on the record - 237 Misleading Statements by the
- The Iraq on the Record Report, prepared at the request
of Rep. Henry A. Waxman, is a comprehensive examination
of the statements made by the five Administration
officials most responsible for providing public
information and shaping public opinion on Iraq. This database identifies
237 specific misleading
statements about the threat posed by Iraq made by these
five officials in 125 public appearances in the time
leading up to and after the commencement of hostilities
leading historians on both sides of the argument over Iraq (The
Guardian, February 19, 2003)
- Politicians on both sides of the argument over Iraq have been busy
rummaging through the history books. The pro-war camp constantly warn
against repeating the mistakes of appeasement. The antis claim we are
heading for another Suez. But which is the more plausible parallel?
Matt Seaton asked a dozen leading historians
Unseen Gulf War, by Peter Turnley
- Graphic photo journalist report on first (1991) Gulf War.
- Don't Waste
Any Time in Mourning: Organize!, by Douglas Dowd
- From the Centre d'Informations et d'Etudes sur les Stratégies Internationales
des Mouvements et des Sociétés Anglophones Newsletter, March 1, 2003.
regime that hates democracy can't wage war for democracy, by Harvey
Wasserman (The Free Press, February 22, 2003)
- George W. Bush says he wants to attack Iraq to install democracy.
But as he explained on December 18, 2002: "If this were a dictatorship,
it'd be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator."
and America's willing executioners would be guilty at Nuremburg,
by Bob Fitrakis and Harvey Wasserman (The Free Press, March
- If he launches an attack on Iraq without the approval of the United
Nations Security Council, George W. Bush will be guilty of crimes on
par with those committed by the infamous Nazi leaders who were tried
at Nuremburg in 1948, after World War II.
- Logos: a journal
of modern society & culture
- Logos is a quarterly journal of modern culture, politics
and society that features articles on the arts, politics, culture, the
social sciences and humanities as well as original fiction and poetry.
The Winter 2003 (2:1) issue contains a Special Section on Iraq.
- War Times
- War Times is being produced to help broaden and deepen the fight against
the Bush program by compiling information and analysis, and putting
them into the hands of large numbers of readers.
- Electronic Iraq
- Electronic Iraq is a news portal on the US-Iraq crisis published
by veteran antiwar campaigners Voices in the Wilderness and respected
Middle East supplementary news publishers, the Electronic Intifada.
- LexisNexis News Research
- Free news from LexisNexis on the War on Iraq.
- Iraq - The
cradle of civilization at risk: Cultural heritage and historical monuments
- H-Museum's Current Focus looks from a cultural and historical perspective
at present developments concerning the military conflict in Iraq.
Speaks on Historical Revisionism
- "England's most famous Communist" discusses historians'
role in a new era. By Matthew Continetti, Columbia Daily Spectator,
April 1, 2003.
criticized Clinton during Kosovo conflict
- Democrats compile a list of criticisms Republican presidential candidates
and leaders in the House and Senate levels egainst the
Clinton administration during the Kosovo conflict to justify criticizing
- Poets Against the War
- Poets Against the War provides a venue for poets to voice their conscience
against impending war, and to encourage our government to seek peaceful
means of resolving conflict in company with the world community.
- Common Dreams
- Breaking news and views for the progressive community.
- The Nation
- See the article The
Bush Crusade by James Carroll, Boston Globe columnist
and author of Constantine's Sword.
- Raed's Blog
- Provides a running narrative with cross references.
- Thanks for the Memories
- A Pretty Good Flash Movie on Iraq.
the Rabbit Hole
- A list from Jack Cross of articles
and reports on intelligence in the United States.
- Academic Info's Peace Studies - No Iraq War
- Draft Registration and Draft Resistance
- Resources on military conscription, draft registration, and draft resistance
from the archives of the National Resistance Committee.
- Draft Registration Freeze
- This site advocates resistance to
the draft registration laws of the United States, seeing registration
as the necessary step
toward conscription (the draft). It poinst to a direct link between
registration, the draft, and aggressive war.
- History New Network
- Coverage of the founding meeting of Historians Against the War on
the History New Network website. Also see Historians
as Activists, a continuously updated list of activities by historians
involved in social, cultural and political action.
- Soldiers Speak Out
- A powerful, first-hand testament to the reality of the military experience told entirely in the words of American veterans who have been to war and are now opposing it.
- Left Forum
- Left Forum brings together organizers and intellectuals from across the globe to share ideas for understanding and transforming the world.
- Iran War Weekly web site
- Peace and Justice Resource Center