Historians Against the War
Sign the Statement
Press Releases and Statements
Virtual Movement Archive
Civil Liberties and Academic Freedom
Join our Listserv
Download HAW images
About us / Contact us
Historians' Letter to President Obama and Members of Congress
July 31, 2014
In the face of the ongoing carnage in Gaza, members of Historians Against the War are circulating this letter with an initial list of signatories. We encourage you to sign it at http://www.historiansagainstwar.org/gazapetition.html and to quickly forward this link to fellow historians. As our numbers grow, we will seek opportunities to publicize and to forward to relevant officials.
Statement by Historians Against the War
April 15, 2009
As historically minded activists, scholars, students, and teachers, we
stand opposed to wars of aggression, military occupations of foreign
lands, and imperial efforts by the United States and other powerful
nations to dominate the internal life of other countries....
Continue reading the statement and join HAW in our efforts to change U.S. policy!
Background: Historians Against the War (HAW) was formed at the January 2003 American Historical Association meeting in response to the Bush administration's threats against Iraq. Over 2200 historians signed a hastily circulated petition against the impending invasion. In September of that year, six months after the invasion, HAW decided to become an ongoing organization calling for an end to the occupation and a restoration of civil liberties in the U.S. itself. Since that time, HAW collected more than 2600 signatures on its revised statement; stimulated dozens of campus teach-ins; held two national conferences (2006 in Austin and 2008 in Atlanta); and gained passage by the American Historical Association of the first anti-war resolution in the AHA's history. In the spring of 2009, HAW voted to broaden the organization's self-definition by adopting a new mission statement.
See more of Josh Brown's Life During Wartime
August 24, 1922 – January 27, 2010
- International Human Rights Law: Violations by Israel and the Problem of Enforcement, by Alice Lynd
with the assistance of
A publication of the Palestine-Israel Working Group of
Historians Against the War (August 2014)
- Please sign Historians' Letter to President Obama and Members of Congress (July 31, 2014)
- October 2014 First World War Conference (Georgian Court University, Lakewood, New Jersey, October 17-18, 2014) Co-Sponsored by Peace History Society
- Historians Against The War National Conference: “The New Faces Of War,” A Conference for Historians and Activists (April 5-7, 2013, Baltimore, Maryland)
- Alfred McCoy's keynote talk at the April 2013 HAW conference, and other presentations at the conference
- Iran War Weekly web site